Recently popular for some reason
- Floyd Pond: A New Tararua Lake (3)
- Rising hut fees, the price of being honest (19)
- Allan Thomas (18 March, 2017): Make overseas trampers pay a $100 fine if...
- One Way Communication (12)
- Daywalk: The Kapakapanui Triangle (3)
- madpom (27 November, 2016): Manga one south turnoff is marked by a Give Way...
- Is this normal? (4)
- More Group Coordination Problems (7)
- Daywalk: Climbing Mount Taranaki from North Egmont (16)
- Sarah Wright (13 October, 2016): Thanks for sharing your story of your climb...
- Ngauruhoe Rock Falls (4)
- Daywalk: The Complete Paekakariki Escarpment Track (2)
Category Archives: tramping
Eleanora dropping to Cleft Creek on Saturday. It’s Saturday night, before 8pm. I’m hunched below a top bunk of Cow Creek Hut, feeling very well fed and trying to scribble these notes by torchlight. Debbie and Eleonora are already trying … Continue reading
The Stony River catchment. I visit Taranaki often these days, but rarely have lengthy amounts of time between commitments to devote to lengthy tramping efforts. I’m gradually working on visiting the different sides of Egmont National Park between other commitments, … Continue reading
Saturday morning. I’ve been looking forward to this trip for some time. The basic plan will be to follow the Tararua Main Range between Bridge Peak and Shoulder Knob, via the Tararua Peaks, looping from Otaki Forks, and for me … Continue reading
Labour weekend of 2013 is meant to be a three and a half day treat from Otaki Forks, up to Hector and around a loop involving Neill-Winchcombe, Maungahuka and the Tararua Peaks. The weather forecast doesn’t look that great. Some … Continue reading
We had an impressive weekend planned, more or less the reverse of my previous attempt at a similar trip several years ago. Sadly, it failed in a similar way, except this time the method of failure was a pressing sou-easterly … Continue reading
Easter of 2013 comes towards the latter part of a lengthy drought, especially in the North Island. Rivers are low or dry, municipal water use restrictions are in place, and total fire bans are active. Gareth approaching on the tops, … Continue reading